Friday, May 30, 2008

It's Been A While- And a Profile in Courage

Hello blog community,

It's been a while since my last post and since that time so much has changed.

After three and a half years, I resigned from my position at Citibank.

Here's why.

Mine is a story of redemption and a refusal to dishonor the legacy of my ancestors, ancestors like Ms. Rosa Parks, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. who stood for justice and equality.

And because of the legacy of these ancestors, I decided to take a stand, after repeated humiliations suffered me from my supervisor, whose last request was that I have his shoes shined.

I am of African-American descent, and I have worked in corporate America for a leading financial institution for the past three and a half years.

I recently tendered my resignation because I could no longer dishonor the legacy of Ms. Rosa Parks, the “mother of the civil rights movement.

I worked with Ms. Parks in the 1980’s in Congressman John Conyers, Jr. congressional office. Ms. Parks and I served as Staff Aide to Congressman Conyers.

I could no longer dishonor the legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr, whose home church, Ebenezer Baptist was the place where in 1955 I was baptized and spent most of my formative years.

The decision to leave my job was not a difficult decision. I grew up with a family that taught me the importance of standing with conviction and courage, with a willingness to fight any injustice before me.

Dr. King, Rosa Parks, Malcolm X, Nelson Mandela and others are the central leaders in my life, compelling me to challenge any injustice, as they give me the courage to reclaim my dignity in the face of adversity.

I am not worried - not in the least, about what my future holds, even though I left full-time employment with no job before me.

My life has been filled with challenges – loss of a business, which I founded and created. And at one time, I lived in my office with no running water and toilet amenities.

Through ever adversity I have managed to turn my life around. And I am presently four classes short of completing masters in business.

My story is a story of courage; it takes courage to let others know that integrity is important, and having the ability to look ones self in the mirror is also important.

I hope this story encourages others to stand with conviction against any injustice.

For in the end, conviction and courage I believe, will duly be rewarded.

No comments: