Friday, February 9, 2007

THE INITIATIVE- Let's Start With Children Continues

It's called "Children Helping Others"
On January 31, I posted my thoughts surrounding the creation of an initiative that helps children develop a social conscious. The project now has a name. It's called "Children Helping Others".

Project CHILDREN HELPING OTHERS
Initiative created by Freda L. Thomas and Marilyn Roberts
“Imagine”
Brainstorming Participants


GOAL:
Introduce to school age children, the importance of kindness and helping others.

OBJECTIVE:
Using public school classrooms as a channel, introduce to children the significance of kindness and helping others.


HOW IT CAN BE ACCOMPLISHED
Adult volunteers visiting classrooms, engage school age children in dialogue regarding domestic and global problems.
Share stories profiling children helping others and the positive impact their involvement has had
Invite children to get involved in helping others
Offer potential projects, also ask students for suggestions and project ideas.

POTENTIAL PROJECTS
Assist both children and adults living in shelters
Survey the needs of children in public schools, i.e. food, clothing, etc., and help supply those needs
Help resolve issues abroad, people dying of AIDS, starvation, etc.
Assist persons in hospitals
Any project suggestions from the children

GETTING STARTED
Recruit volunteers to become involved in this initiative
Locate New York area schools, contact administrators, in order to introduce the project
Seek publicity for the project under the “Imagine” initiative at Idealist.org - draw on talent and resources available at Idealist
Set launch target date for introduction at target school
Create tasks for follow up after introduction at initial school and classroom, i.e. next steps after discussion, how do we get started helping others, what can children do until next meeting and gathering, create within children a sense of urgency to act now
Create timeline for deliverables above
If you would like to become involved, please contact me at my email or post your comments at this blog.

The link below tells the story of six year old Ryan Jreljac raising money to build a well in Kenya, East Africa.
http://www.myhero.com/myhero/hero.asp?hero=RYAN_HRELJAC

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Light, light, the world need more light." - Goethe

Freda L. Thomas is in-spirational. She is in-spirit. I thank her for that! 'Cause someone's gotta be!

I haven't known you for a long time but managed to gain strength and inspiration from your life story. Your encouraging words and advice has helped me to take that "just-take-one-more-step-forward" approach to life. It has also served as a reinforcement in the belief that tomorrow will be better and to have more hope. I believe that your experience will continue to nourish you and will serve as an inspiration to All.

May all your endeavors be blessed and successful.

You definitely have my support!

Sincerely,

Karen Kellman

A Change in Thinking Changes ALL said...

Karen, your words and thoughts regarding my inspiring you are compelling indeed. Thank you for taking the time to post.

It means so much to me that you see me as an inspiration, since that is what I believe to be my purpose.

Go forward sister friend.

Your path is bright.

Thanks again for the lovely salutations.

Freda

Unknown said...

Freda has been a good friend to me so far. Having read her post and connecting to her vision for children is no regret.
She is that trusted and "ready to do it" lady. She got the attitude of making it happen. I have only known her for some few time but I feel within me that she the best among the rest who can bring that change in our world of suffering in Africa and the world.
Help join hands with Freda to bring a vision fulfilled.
She got the heart of compassion for children and she is doing her best so far to see it done. What are you also doing to see this done. The world is ours and it will take people like you and I do join hands and make it happen. Pledge an alligiance to do it now! cos you doing it now will put food and water, shelter and health care for a child. God bless you as you take this GAINT step to do it.

A Change in Thinking Changes ALL said...

Hi my new friend, thank you for your lovely message and for continuing our commitment to make a change in the world. We will do it. We are focused on the prize.

You stay strong with me as we claim this planet for good, making it happen.

Peace and blessings Cozi.

Freda

Sylvia T Sheppard said...

Sylvia said:
I am so proud of FLT for all of her growth and success. I am thankful for her sharing her vision with us. I have been knowing FLT for a long long time. She has a let's make it happen way about her. My sista, you can count on me for support. May peace and blessing be unto you!

Sylvia

A Change in Thinking Changes ALL said...

Sylvia, peace and blessings and Thank God for our friendship. Thank you for the way we see one another, and we will continue to encourage one another in all of our endeavors.

Thanks for your post my sister friend.

Janice said...

Hey Freda,
I would love to be involved in this project. Brainstorming, talking to a classroom, whatever, please add me to your list of interested persons!

I don't know if I shared during our class that my son has autism-spectrum disorder; his major manifestation at this point is lack of social understanding of others. Concrete examples help him understand.

For example, the children's sermon last Sunday asked, "What do you do when you're hungry?" and the kids all said, "Go to the cabinet/fridge," to which the speaker responded something like, "Yes, and elsewhere, there are children who can't do that..."

That type of thing helps so much -- with my guy and so-called "typical" kids as well! --From Janice