Thursday, January 18, 2007

Thought for Today 1/18/07 Art Buchwald Died Today

Art Buchwald died today, and in an interview with Tom Brokaw I saw this man with physical impediments, wiping his mouth after drooling, and yet there was something about him which I found compelling and graceful. Buchwald did not appear hampered that he might not be shown in the best light. What did come through is that Brokaw and Buchwald were friends. What shown was their love for one another, pure, unadulterated.

So often in life I am concerned about how others see me. Did I use the correct diction? Was I understood by another in a way that shown me in good favor?

I must be clear that I am not overtly fixated on appearances. But the manner in which I am perceived, sometimes, is of great importance to me.

What Art taught me is that in an instant, life changes. We get older, we develop impediments, things happen that are beyond our control.

How we handle all of it is what matters.

Having dignity when bodily functions are giving way to an appearance that is less than dignified, is truly a feat.

I envy Art Buchwald, because from all appearances he had mastered, long before his demise, both nobility and dignity.

I pray that I might develop such qualities before my final curtain, so that someone might look upon me one day, as I looked upon Art Buchwald, with both awe and admiration.











No comments: