Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Thought for Today on Dr. M.L. King's Birthday

Children are the gift from the creator, and today, I was surrounded by many children as I participated in the volunteer event, "Children for Children". I met Novelle there, five years old and smart.

I asked Novelle about himself and he shared details, speaking eloquently, clearly. He had opinions, friends, and energy to burn.

We made alphabet books together for children in pre-k. As we cut out pictures and wrote the alphabets associated with each pix, I asked Novelle to name the illustrations. He looked at me as though I were being silly, and said, "cat, dog, etc. Silly me; of course a five year old can identify pictures, right. But Novelle was communicating more than just that. Through his expressions I believe he was telling me that he was smart and capable of much more than identifying some silly old pictures for an alphabet book, and soon into our project together, I was watching as Novelle took over the work.

Children, resurrecting joy - teaching us that God is still at work, creating new lives to lead us - generation to generation.

Whenever I volunteer, it is I who benefits. I am introduced to new and exciting people, who make me believe in possibilities.

Meeting Novelle uplifted me, inspired me, helped me to relax, knowing indeed, when I depart this planet, I will leave behind capable spirits like Novelle.

Lift up the children. Know them as God knows them. See them as the divine!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My dear...I am so proud of you! This site is fabulous...it looks great and the content is well worth reading. You've done a lot since I last spoke to you. :) I'm enjoying your postings...I may have to start following your mantra of "change starts with me." So true...

A Change in Thinking Changes ALL said...

thank you fellow DMer for your thoughts. If I have inspired, then it is all worth the effort, since that is my purpose.

Anonymous said...

Children are a blessing that some people forget to see.

A Change in Thinking Changes ALL said...

Hi Jeff,

Thank you so much for your comment, because it's through dialogue that we can affect change.

I believe some people forget to see the beauty of children because someone forgot to see them as beautiful when they were a child.

I think people do what they know.

Those of us who are conscious have a moral responsibility to bring about a change, letting children know, whenever we are in their presence, how wonderful they are and what a blessing they are.

Hopefully our example will help influence change in others.